Shepherd Success Academy
The Shepherd Success Academy is a student success program focusing on new undergraduate students starting their college journey at Shepherd University. The program will start during summer orientation and run until the end of the fall semester. This is a unique opportunity that is only being offered to a select group of students. There is no cost to participate; however, there are a limited number of spots in the Academy.
Personal success coach and mentor Academy Benefits
- A personal success coach who will work with you throughout your first semester
- Create a personalized success plan developed by you and your coach
- Exploration of your major and future careers
- A personal guide to campus academic, financial, and support resources
- An opportunity to interact with your new classmates who are transitioning from high school to Shepherd
First-year Student Fast Facts
- Many students come to college with little understanding of what it takes to succeed; they make an assumption that class attendance is optional, or that the level of effort that got them through high school will be sufficient for college work. Source: Retention and student success: Implementing strategies that make a difference, Ellucian
- Advising by professional staff, one-on-one and programs designed specifically for firstyear students were ranked “very effective” among 48 practices for student retention and college completion. Source: 2015 Ruffalo Noel Levitz | 2015 Student Retention and College Completion Practices Benchmark Report
- Students’ who engage with faculty and staff in the first three weeks of the semester are more likely to experience higher satisfaction and academic success.